Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Philosophically Thinking

The word philosophical is defined as pertaining to philosophy, obviosuly.  It's a word I use to describe myself, a word whose use I beilieve has become kinda fad-ish.   People  seem to throw the word around a lot, but it isn't often anyone can actually give me the definition of philosophy,  instead I get their own idea of  what it is.  We complicate everything.  And I'm not one for using labels but if had to find a word whose definition describes me, philosophical, thus phiposophy, would be good one.  Philosophy has a number of defininotions all relating to the same thing.  Three of which describe me perfectly.

Philosophy-
1. The rational investigation of the truths and principles of being , knowledge,  or conduct.
5. A system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
6. An attitude of rationality, patience, composure, and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.

From dictionary.coie I may not always fulfill those definitions 100% of the time,  I do strive to live by them.  Now, for a person that hates living within boundaries and guidlines you can see my trepidation in calling myself anything, but philosophies can vary from person to person, so here I am, finding my own philosophies to live by, and only by living can one find true philosophies anyway.  I am not a scholar nor do I want to change the world, but I do firmly believe in living a life lead by intention, with purpose and reason.  I have spent so much time in life living as others would have me live, to some degree or another, that I became numb and calloused and emotionless.  Held back by fear of making my own decisions and standing by them no matter what, and having to decide whether or not I would explain it to people.  That isn't to say I'm never wrong, not at all, in fact quite the opposite.  By owning what I do and say it cuts out all the bullshit fights one might find themselves having internally.  it has certainly helped me.

It has taken me a long time to even be comfortable on this path and it has taken every bit of my 32 years of experience to come to this juncture in my journey.  I have arrived nowhere, this I know.  I merely keep walking in order to come to the understanding that nothing means everything and everything means nothing, all at once.  I thrive on complexities, mine and yours, and come to understanding by way of simplicity.  Everything can be broken down to it's simplest form  leaving nothing to the imagination to concoct or imply.  Removing emotion from situations is often necessary in dealing with things rationally.  This is something I am just now beginning to see.  That is not to say that life requires me to be an emotionless robot all of the time, although this was my approach  for many years.  I find it useful in its rightful time and place.  Recently I have become more open to being open and emotional when I need to be and its brought a little bit of life back to the death trap I had become.  I mean that literally and figuratively.  And there is no shame in saying that for a while there I had become toxic to myself and those around me.  I call it like it is,  no bullshit.  Only by accepting that can I understand and move forward so as not to do things that cause results I can't live with.   And that's what this is all about,  living life,  simply,  humbly,  and with some sense of reason and purpose.  I  definitely have my way of doing things,  and I'm glad my ramblings are somewhat philosophically entertaining.   This blog,  my writing,  is one aspect of the process I use to get  through life, philosophically speaking.

2 comments:

  1. The way you say things makes me want to sit and lose myself in your philosophies and stories over a cup of coffee in a cliche coffee shop :) thank you for, once again, grabbing my attention and opening my simple eyes to see your views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think hearing your process helps my own. I love your words, and sometimes the day in day out becomes numbing. Yet, when you actually start to wake up, it becomes a journey.

    ReplyDelete